Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Death of a President: 50 Years On.





"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." -- John F. Kennedy



Many young people today don't really understand the worldwide impact and significance of the assassination of John Fitzgerald Kennedy. At the time, I was nine years old. When I heard the news, I was in shock. "Why would anyone want to kill President Kennedy?" Although I exactly remember where I was when I heard the news, I don't even know today what led me to ask this question, but it's obvious that I'd already formed a strong opinion about JFK, and my belief that he was one of the "good guys". The whole world was in shock, and numerous people have said that this awful moment was so embedded in memory, that they all remembered where they were when they heard the news.It was a defining, and tragically sad moment in world history, and I suppose that's why it had such an impact. "Why do evil people do desperate and murderous things like this?"

JFK wasn't the first US president to be assassinated. Before him were Abraham Lincoln, James A. Garfield, and William McKinley. But JFK's assassination was the first and only to be captured on live TV.





First reports:








Note the reactions of the children, to the news that "the President of the United States is dead":



The fact is that John Fitzgerald Kennedy was no ordinary President. He was admired around the world. Fifty years on, even those of us who were children at the time, still poignantly remember this awful event as though it was yesterday. It was a blur on my childhood, which led me to ask, "what kind of world do we live in?"


Links:

JFK assassination 50th anniversary: Dallas moves on from 'City of Hate' reputation.




No comments:

Post a Comment