Saturday, March 15, 2014

A Tribute To The Men and Women Serving in the New South Wales Police Force (NSW Police) - And a Few Concerns..

Policing isn't the easiest job, and it's certainly not among better paid jobs when the risks are calculated. 

Coming clean, I admit to an ulterior motive in doing this post. I was recently the victim of what I'd call a "minor crime". Yet the Police took it very seriously, probably because it involved a juvenile offender, and the prospect of "stemming it in the bud". For the record, this juvenile was eventually caught, and the officer assigned to my case asked me if I wanted to press charges. I declined. I hope, at best, that this person was at least given a warning, but I wouldn't want any more than that, in the hope of reformation, considering the very young age of the offender.

Being a cab driver, I've spoken to *many* police over the past seven years, ranking from constables and forensic police to senior detectives. One female constable told me, "it's a stressful job, and you're always under pressure, but I love it".

On the other hand, I've spoken to former police officers who quit the Force because of the personal and emotional toll it was taking on their, and their families' lives.

NSW Police are trained at the Goulburn Police Force Academy:



When the Academy is completed, graduating Police have to deal with the harsh realities of street life, and crime. Especially alcohol-fueled violence (which takes up 70% of NSW Police resources). The female officer pleading with this intransigent to "stop it", is a detective, and she and the other male detective tried to contain him until "beat police" arrived:





Who can go home at the end of the shift like this feeling "job satisfaction"? It takes a rare individual.


Many police don't survive the stress, and in some cases, it has led to suicide:



Stress among NSW Police:

 

The really sad thing, I think, is that *most* police recruits enter the Force with lofty and noble ideals about improving society, and for too many - it ends in despair, and disillusionment.

So I ask you to think for a moment: Are *you* contributing to improving society, and helping police stem crime? Or do you prefer to shout out "pigs", as they go by?

Examine your motives, if you chose the latter, and whether it's in the best interest not only of yourself, but society-at-large.

When you're the victim of a crime, the police are the best friends you have.



 

 
Law enforcement officers are never 'off duty.' They are dedicated public servants who are sworn to protect public safety at any time and place that the peace is threatened. They need all the help that they can get.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/law_enforcement.html#kKo3qS4Lvw2lfjTY.99

No comments:

Post a Comment