Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Death of an Extraordinarily Gifted and Funny Man.

"Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody."

- Mark Twain. 

My most explicit memory of Robin Williams doesn't come from any of the movies he made, but from an interview with Jana Wendt on "A Current Affair" (Australian television) in the late 1980s. After losing the connection, Williams improvised with a brand of spontaneous never-to-be-forgotten humour. It was a stunning performance in ad hoc improvisation, and an insight into his extraordinary talent as an actor and comedian.  




When I read about Williams' death by apparent suicide, the first question that came to my mind was "why?"

Although I've been concerned about suicide for a long time, because it's a leading cause of death in Australia, and claims more lives than motorcar accidents annually, I could never quite determine why. A blog post by a friend of mine, "Runtu" (John Williams, no relation to Robin), helped me to at least understand depression-related suicide. I highly recommend reading John's blog post about Depression.



Meanwhile, unfortunately, Twitter once again shows its true colours:  Robin Williams' daughter Zelda driven off Twitter by vicious trolls.

See my previous post about Twitter: Farewell To Twitter.

It's just dumbfounding how low some humans can go, and one need look no further than the so-called "social media" to see that, which is why I avoid all of them. 

RIP Robin Williams.



Links:

Robin Williams 'started to disconnect', says friend.

Facts and stats about suicide in Australia.


No comments:

Post a Comment