Wednesday, September 3, 2014

What Will Be The Legacy of Dan Wheldon?

Being a new father, do you think differently about the safety aspects of racing in the IndyCar series now?


DW: Honestly, with everything that's gone on in my life, I feel when your time's up, your time's up. You can't worry about that stuff. You've got to live life like it's your last day. No, I don't. You know, one thing that's very important to me is being able to win a race for my sons before I retire. And I won the biggest race for a long time -- the 100th anniversary of the Indy 500! I want to continue to do that. I don't want my boys to have to go to school and say "my frickin' dad's a loser, he can't win an IndyCar race."

Dan Wheldon: An Interview With The Late IndyCar Champ Dan Wheldon.


The fatal crash from different angles:





The last driver to die in Formula One was Aryton Senna, nearly 17 years before the Las Vegas Indy Car fatal crash.


Jackie Stewart's analysis of the Las Vegas fatal crash:






Nigel Mansell's analysis of the crash:





Motor-racing is a very entertaining, but is also a very dangerous sport. Hopefully measures at all levels to protect the lives of drivers will be improved. NASCAR (along with F1) has made enormous improvements as far as safety is concerned.

Like any other fan, I like to be entertained, but not when it may cost a life (or lives) to be "entertained".



No comments:

Post a Comment